In 1900, Calumet was a booming town in
the center of Michigan's copper mining
industry. The largest company in the
region, Calumet and Hecla, operated its
works between the villages that became
Calumet and Laurium.
Mines drew a diverse population,
including Cornish, Croatians, Finns,
French Canadians Italians, Polish, Scots,
Slovenians and Swedes. French Canadians,
under the administration of Reverend J.
R. Boissonault, built a church dedicated
to St. Anne. The architectural firm of
Charlton, Gilbert and Demar designed the
structure, built of red sandstone from
the Jacobsville quarry.